Accessibility navigation


Energy overview of Botswana: generation and consumption

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

Ofetotse, E. L. and Essah, E. A. (2012) Energy overview of Botswana: generation and consumption. In: WABER Conference 2012, 24-27 July 2012, Abuja, Nigeria, pp. 1011-1021.

[img]
Preview
Text - Accepted Version
· Please see our End User Agreement before downloading.

177Kb

Abstract/Summary

Botswana has a basic need to explore its energy concept, this being its energy sources, generation and percentage of the population with access to electricity. At present, Botswana generates electricity from coal, which supplies about 29% (on average) of the country’s demand. The other 71% is imported mainly from South Africa (Eskom). Consequently, the dependence of Botswana on imports posses threats to the security of its energy supply. As a result, there is the need to understand the bases for a possible generation expansion that would substantiate existing documentation. In view of this need, this study investigates the existing energy sources as well as energy consumption and production levels in Botswana. The study would be further developed by making projections of the energy demand up until the year 2020. The key techniques that were used include; literature review, questionnaire survey and an empirical study. The results presented indicated that, current dependable operation capacity (i.e. 100MW) should be increased to 2,595 MW or more assuming 85% plant efficiency. This would then be able to meet the growing demand for energy use. In addition, the installed capacity would be able to support commercial and mining activities for the growth of the economy.

Item Type:Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Refereed:Yes
Divisions:Faculty of Science > School of Construction Management and Engineering > Innovative and Sustainable Technologies
ID Code:28847

Download Statistics for this item.

University Staff: Request a correction | Centaur Editors: Update this record

Page navigation