The Byzantine Church of the Nutrition in Nazareth rediscovered
Dark, K. (2012) The Byzantine Church of the Nutrition in Nazareth rediscovered. Palestine Exploration Quarterly, 144 (3). pp. 164-184. ISSN 1743-1301
Full text not archived in this repository.
To link to this article DOI: 10.1179/0031032812Z.00000000013
Although Nazareth has usually been seen by scholars as a relatively minor Byzantine pilgrimage centre, it contained perhaps the most important ‘lost’ Byzantine church in the Holy Land, the Church of the Nutrition ‐ according to De Locis Sanctis built over the house where it was believed that Jesus Christ had been a child. This article, part of a series of final interim reports of the PEF-funded ‘Nazareth Archaeological Project’, presents evidence that this church has been discovered at the present Sisters of Nazareth convent in central Nazareth. The scale of the church and its surrounding structures suggests that Nazareth was a much larger, and more important, centre for Byzantine-period pilgrimage than previously supposed. The church was used in the Crusader period, after a phase of desertion, prior to destruction by fire, probably in the 13th century.
Repository Staff Only: item control page